On the 6th May I will be part of the crew for RAW: Purpose and Meaning, a deep conversation that will make a difference for about 100 people. My friend Emeli will lead us through a process which will move people closer to seeing what they are on the planet for.
I have spent a lot of my life seeking mine, thinking I have found it at different times, doing some extraordinary things on the way. I have run the Moscow Peace Marathon the year before the Berlin Wall came down in the name of ending world hunger during one of these times. I have done an 8 week silent Calm Abiding meditation retreat during another and been the editor of a national Community Development journal for two years which also gave me purpose in my life at the time.
What does the world have to say about finding your purpose. There are quotes from some well known individuals to that most well known philosopher Anonymous, lets take a journey through 15 of them.
1. As a child new from the womb we are pure unbridled potential, we all could be president of the United States, the most powerful position on the planet. As we journey through life it takes something to remember this.
2. It’s wiser to look out there for your purpose because without others involved its hard to make a difference that has much affect.
3. Sometimes it gets dark along the path of our purpose, luckily you will have your trusty companion passion to light your journey for you.
4. In her songs Diana Ross sang about this, such a one is Ain’t no Mountain High Enough
5. All the great people who are remembered for their grand purposes used this simple formulae in their day to day progression towards them.
6. Purpose makes you jump out of bed, especially when they are fulfilling that dream you were having. I must include the classic number by Lou Reed and his friends: Perfect Song for a Perfect Day.
7. Did Mark Twain realise he would be one of the early pioneers of a self development movement that would have millions of people seeking their Why, their purpose. I don’t think so.
8. Love this one, just make you absence felt, perhaps you will have a day named after your purpose if you do it well enough.
9. Are we commissioned by the creator if there is such a being? A lot of people have purpose in their life without believing this.
10. Howard Washington Thurman 1899 – 1981 was an influential African American author, philosopher, theologian, educator, and civil rights leader. He played a leading role in many social justice movements and organisations of the twentieth century. He definitely spent his time on the planet alive.
11. Purpose makes many friends on her journey, travelling with one or two of them and at sometimes all of them to achieve the result she is seeking.
12. An essential part of the recipe in fulfilling your purpose is to locate the Self Love within you because this allows you to give it away and receive it in buckets. You cannot imagine how much easier this will make your journey.
13. “Buechner uses words with such transformative power that any comment on them is like the moon palely reflecting the sun.”
14. Don’t just find your purpose, give it away to as many people as you can.
15. As the three examples I gave at the beginning show you your purpose will change throughout your life, never give up looking for them. Remember there is always climbing after all.
I am looking forward to the 6th May, I love conversations that make a difference.
Namaste until Monday , my dear friends.