So, I promised a friend I would write this blog about how I was feeling, my identity is resisting it because I am not feeling full of possibility, I spoke to my mentor about it and he pointed out that the only way out of it was in. So here goes.
I feel stuck as I am basically doing what I was two to three years ago and my soul feels there is meant to be more to life than that. I went to one of my sources of inspiration, my friend Marc Chernoff and found an article 16 Harsh Truths That Make You Stronger. This is the shortened version of how it goes:
It takes more courage to reveal insecurities than to hide them, more strength to relate to people than dominate them, more manhood or womanhood to abide by thought-out principles rather than blind reflex. Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles and an immature mind -Alex Karras.
1. Life is not easy. Hard work makes people lucky – It’s the stuff that brings dreams to reality.
2. You will fail sometimes – The faster you accept this, the faster you can get on with being brilliant.
3. Right now, there’s a lot you don’t know – the day you stop learning is the day you stop living.
4. There may not be a tomorrow – Not for everyone.
5. There’s a lot you can’t control – You can’t control everything in your life no matter how many safeguards you put into place.
6. Information is not true knowledge – Knowledge comes from experience.
7. You can’t be successful without providing value -Don’t waste your time trying to be successful, spend your time creating value.
8. Someone else will always have more than you – Whether it’s money, friends or magic beans that you’re collecting, there will always be somebody who has more than you.
9. You can’t change the past – You can’t change what happened, but you can change how you react to it.
10. The only person who can make you happy is you – The root of your happiness comes from your relationship with yourself.
11. There will always be people who don’t like you – You can’t be everything to everyone.
12. You won’t always get what you want – Appreciate the things you have right now. Many people aren’t so lucky.
13. In life, you get what you put in – If you want love, friends, give love, be friendly.
14. Good friends will come and go – Most of your high school friends won’t be part of your Uni life.
15. Doing the same exact thing every day hinders self-growth – If you keep doing what you’re doing, you’ll keep getting what you’re getting.
16. You will never feel 100% ready for something new – Nobody ever feels 00% ready when an opportunity arises.
Typing number 15 made me shudder, I have been in this rut for at least a week and keep telling my self I do not know the way out, which I know not to be true. So what does the world say about being in a rut and its effect on one, lets have a look:
1. I recommenced my daily walks today and am attended a Warrior Code session tonight, they are designed to shake you up.
2. I’ve set up a dinner with my siblings, they definitely do this: Glad To Be Alive.
3. Much to much comfort, why do I feel so bad then?
4. Take a dose, and the medicine goes down: A Spoonful of Sugar.
5. It’s how you relate to it that gives it the wonder.
6. It’s not always a win/win situation, how would we learn if it was: Seven Years.
7. It’s difficult to be what you are not.
8. At the top of my list at the moment: Rut.
9. Enoch Arnold Bennett was an English writer of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He is best known as a novelist, but he also worked in other fields such as the theatre, journalism, propaganda and films.
10. I’m taking up the invitation: Grow As We Go.
11. Time for some explanation.
12. Time to stop waiting to be rescued and found: Who You Are.
13. Shayne’s Pinterest bio reads Author and Always the Good Girl. A firm believer in happy endings. Refuse to let your past define you. Be strong, take control, change your life.
14. Including yourself: Rise Up.
15. And our final lesson comes from running coach Ben Rosario, that it is the journey to your goals and dreams that got you there, so remember to have fun.
To me, the only difference between an opportunity and an obstacle is attitude. Getting a second chance in life is about giving myself the opportunity to grow beyond my past failures, It’s time to positively adjust my attitude toward future possibilities.
The playlist starts with some healing medicine from Teddy Prendergast and Marry Poppins. Then there are three pensive tracks from Lukas Graham, The Killers and Ben Platt. The penultimate track is Jessie J and we complete with some soul from Andra Day: Tough Times Never Last, Tough People Do.
So being in touch with my ethos for the world: Love and Respect for All, Everyone Included on a daily basis is the practice I will choose to climb out of this rut. Until we meet again my dear friends.