We have arrived at that time of the year, The First of the First, and we play the New Year Resolution game. I changed it several years ago to the Passion game. I ask myself this group of questions:
- What will you never give up on?
- What activities make you lose track of time?
- What fascinates you?
- What’s something you would do every day if you could?
- At what time in your recent past have you felt most passionate and alive?
- Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing?
- What one thing have you not done that you really want to do? What’s holding you back?
- What is something you would hate to go without for a day?
- Would you rather have less work to do, or more work you actually enjoy doing?
- What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge you?
How do you describe passion? 1. A strong feeling or emotion: He spoke with passion. 2. an object of someone’s love, liking, or desire: Art is my passion. 3. strong liking or desire: love. She has a passion for music.
Passion is actually derived from an Ancient Greek word: πάσχω “to suffer, to be acted on so there have been many a quote on the subject, here are a few over time:
1. How can you place a price tag on passion?
2. From the fastest man in the world at his time, Donovan relates that work comes with passion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8QJmI_V3j4&list=PLuDyQHg9f0ty3NsEZTGuz_PclKIruw6l7&index=33
3. Best known for discovering the wreck of the Titanic when looking for lost nuclear weapons, Robert says it’s about your life, not others.
4. Your passion is not for others, that’s your purpose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmWBrN7QV6Y&list=PLhXQhpqBNAYsiwGQ6e4rxgbQ0gGVfKZ2u&index=10
5. Then we must always have Oprah’s take on it.
6. Then included in a good passion cake is a modicum of love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwgr_IMeEgA&list=PLhXQhpqBNAYsiwGQ6e4rxgbQ0gGVfKZ2u&index=15
7. Purpose follows passion, find the former and the latter will follow.
8. Many Passionate choices here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_8ydghbGSg&list=PLhXQhpqBNAYsiwGQ6e4rxgbQ0gGVfKZ2u&index=18
9. Considered the leader most responsible for the Allied victory in WW1 Foch believed that a strong heart won battles not a well trained army.
10. Passion from the start will see you stick it out to the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMpFmHSgC4Q&list=PLhXQhpqBNAYsiwGQ6e4rxgbQ0gGVfKZ2u&index=2
11. All the greats placed passion first then went through the purpose and plans to accomplish their ideas.
12. Passion resides in your heart, not your head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6SkvErFEE&list=PLhXQhpqBNAYsiwGQ6e4rxgbQ0gGVfKZ2u&index=6
13. The great Maya Angelou includes passion, along with compassion, humour and style in her life’s mission.
14. The Chief Operating Officer of Meta/Facebook also insists that as part of your passion there must be contribution included: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvI9PuGorwI&list=PLhXQhpqBNAYsiwGQ6e4rxgbQ0gGVfKZ2u&index=19
15. The CEO of Linkedin India closes our session with a profound station on passion.
Inside our passion, we must Think Deeply, Speak Gently, Love Lots, Laugh Often, Work Hard, Give Back, Expect Less, Be Present, Be Kind, Be Honest and Be True to Ourselves. Remember we hold the passion, the others are just our aides.
Today’s playlist is passionate and from the heart: We begin with Sade followed by Lady Gaga. Next is Anda Day, then Demi Lovato. Hailee Steinfeld is the song before the penultimate number by Mumford and Sons and we complete with Rachel Platten; enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJlQ3F9bKYrsRhCOQtEKTUMGpA53C4NID
I am passionate about Interculturalism, I have created an ethos for it: Love and Respect for All, Everybody Included. I have two Facebook groups to spread the ethos around the world: https://www.facebook.com/groups/183421768519278: Interculturalism and https://www.facebook.com/groups/1126100227764949: Thriving People – People who wish to make a difference to humanity. You can join on the links, Until next time we meet, my dear friends.