I am 66 years old, both my parents have passed and I miss them every day. I was checking out Booker Looker land AKA Facebook the other day and starting seeing messages that suggested a dear friend of mine, much younger than me had passed in unfortunate circumstance. He lived in the hills above my home city of Melbourne so I contacted a mutual friend who was a hills elder and was advised that yes, it was true. Michael had a heart of gold and time for everyone.
It made me think had I told him how much his friendship meant to me recently since meeting him in Coolangatta airport seven years ago on the way to my first retreat after my latest mental health episode, and realising that his friendliness and assistance would mean that we would become staunch friends. We both had similar sleep patterns so used to communicate on Messenger during the early hours of the morning about topics wide and varied.
So this made me think about what society says about the importance of friendships, this is what I found:
1. POTUS’s are great at making quotes that last for an eternity.
2. Instead on knowing what they are going to say before they listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wfYIMyS_dI
3. We gave each other some good advice during those early hours.
4. Michael and I attended Menergy for the first time in Grantville in Country Victoria, a mens gathering held yearly , we both loved it and attended as regularly as we could: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf0Dm-OaTNk
5. During the seven years I knew him, Michael stood by me when I had a mental health relapse and came with his partner and anointed me with magical potions in an attempt to heal me, a very generous act.
6. And over our life times our shells have some cracks in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEv6jy_7PQQ
7. Because they are who know you qualms best.
8. More from the POTUS household: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8AOAap6_k4
9. And he would come and help you repair the fence as well.
10. This was so true about Michael, I met him in another state: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dr0p9e8LKc
11. Definitely like a good book.
12. Marie Magdalene “Marlene” Dietrich was a German-American actress and singer. Her career spanned from the 1910s to the 1980s. In 1920s Berlin, Dietrich performed on the stage and in silent films. Her performance as Lola-Lola in The Blue Angel, brought her international acclaim and a contract with Paramount Pictures. Her career spans longer than a lot of peoples lives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgKAFK5djSk&list=PLHwn8cKeb1J2TOechY-gogb9DZNwIwzIJ
13. On 22 December 2016, Coelho was listed by UK-based company Richtopia at number 2 in the list of 200 most influential contemporary authors.
14. Michael definitely would not have been one of the first ones, his heart was too big: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypkv0HeUvTc
15. And for our final quote , this one points out how friends are willing to tell you the truth.
So writing this has made me sadder at the loose of Michael, he always had a smile and a hug for his friends, of which he had many. Remember life is like a party. You invite a lot of people , some leave early, some laugh with you, and a few stay to help you clean up the mess. They are the ones who matter the most. Here are some things friends do differently:
- They face problems together.
- They give what they can because they truly care.
- They make time for each other.
- They offer each other freedom.
- They communicate effectively.
- They accept each other as is.
- They are genuine, and expect genuineness.
- They compromise.
- They support each other’s growth changes.
- They believe in each other.
- They maintain realistic expectations of their relationship.
- They honour each other in small ways on a regular basis.
- They listen, and they hear every word.
- They keep their promises.
- They stick around.
Today’s playlist goes from Glam to Punk and everything in between. We begin with Enya and then travel back to Woodstock and Canned Heat. Slade are next followed by one of my favourite R & B songs by Womack and Womack. Our unknown artist for today is Abra Moore. The penultimate number is by Whiz Khalifa and we end with Marilyn Manson : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJlQ3F9bKYruzirI_0Mly2SjWI9XNHKC9
Michael’s sudden passing has made me think about how much I value my friendships and how many of the 15 points above I follow. I know he believed in my ethos of Love and Respect for all, Everyone Included. I will attempt to be in contact with it more and more. Look forward to meeting you with your smile and a hug when we next meet again, my friend.