Defining family can be a tough thing as the word “family” alone is a powerful word that conjures up multiple different meanings and emotions. How does one put into words all that define how they feel when it comes to what family is?
Oftentimes people will say a family includes a mother, father, and children all living together under one roof. Some might say a family can be anything that involves love.
Webster’s dictionary defines a family as “a group consisting of parents and children living together in a household.” This definition is a good starting point when trying to define what family consists of, however, there are modern-day definitions that redefine what family is today. Yet, do these definitions define what family means to you? What comes to mind when you think of what family means?
Whether it is a mother and father together, a single mom or dad with kids, or possibly your friends that help to fill the void that your biological family wasn’t able to fulfil, the word family is a powerful word. These are people that surround you with care, concern, and love. These are the people who see you, who understand what you are going through and through it all, they stand by your side loving you through life.
For me, it includes my three beloved siblings, Hugo, Ruth and Jann and my extended dance community friends. Some say I am extremely lucky that I have been able to get on with my siblings for such an extended period of time as often people have to replace their siblings with others as it just hasn’t happened that way.
How has society spoken about that unit that takes our attention on a daily basis, here are some of my favourite things:
1. Its all in the roots that keep us connected across time as we go in our different directions.
2. For me, this has always been my siblings and when they were alive, my parents: We are Family.
3. Find these ones, they are your family.
4. But can you have both, I’m lucky that I do: Respect.
5. Does family include the quality of being loyal – “his extreme loyalty to the Crown”. A strong feeling of support or allegiance.
6. And from what some of my friends have said to me, they cannot even spend time under the same roof, it makes me feel so lucky: True Colours.
7. George Bernard Shaw (26 July 1856 – 2 November 1950), known at his insistence simply as Bernard Shaw, was an Irish playwright, critic, polemicist and political activist. His influence on Western theatre, culture and politics extended from the 1880s to his death and beyond.
8. My siblings and I have made that choice on those days of struggle: Someone Like You.
9. I think that this may have a lot to do with how family relationships work out, imagine if we did this all our lives?
11. They could be called the 12 Commandments of relationship.
13. But always be willing to ask.
14. You don’t remember the size of the house, later on, you remember the memories that occurred in them: Make Me Smile.
15. And we finish with a wide choice you can take your definition of family.
Childhood is supposed to be fun and carefree; but, the truth is, even little kids have stress, anxiety, and other issues affecting their mental well being. That’s why it’s so important to foster healthy habits early on and encourage resilience and self-esteem from day one. I reached out for a few top tips to help you with your Family journey.
Focus on feelings:
Let children make mistakes:
Let children make decisions:
Lead by example and take care of your own emotional well-being:
I’m not sure if all of these things happened in my life so I count myself lucky that my family has turned out so well.
Some drippy songs in the playlist this week: We begin with Sister Sledge, then the Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin. My favourite version of this song by Kasey Chambers is next, followed by Adele. Then 3 S’es finish it off: Sarah Bareilles, The Scissor Sisters and Steve Harley: When We Have Each Other, We Have Everything!!
From all that is written about families across the net, we have a little way to go to fulfil my world paradigm of Love and Respect for All, Everyone Included. Until next we meet, my dear friends.
Preston VIC 3072, Australia
My dear brother, we are blessed that the four of us are attuned to each other’s souls. We will always be there for each other, whatever life brings, wherever we are. 💖🔥💦