it is important to note that following one’s bliss, as Joseph Campbell saw it, isn’t merely a matter of doing whatever you like, and certainly not doing simply as you are told. It is a matter of identifying that pursuit which you are truly passionate about and attempting to give yourself absolutely to it. In so doing, you will find your fullest potential and serve your community to the greatest possible extent.
Joseph Campbell did a series of interviews at George Lucas’s Skywalker ranch in California during 1988 that would bring to the world the expression Follow your Bliss. There has been much spoken about it, with a lot of it being on YouTube 57 videos on Joseph Campbell’s Work.
So what does bliss mean to you. Bliss is defined as ecstasy or extreme happiness in daily life, or theologians refer to it as the ecstatic joy of heaven. Bliss is one of my five core desired feelings, the others being Peace, Love, Helping other People Evolve and Abundance. These are what I use to live my life and achieve my results from. It is from the Desire Map work process developed by Danielle LaPorte. It has transformed how I relate to life.
What do we as humanity say about bliss, I have chosen 15 quotes most of which mention bliss but several that don’t, lets see how it has been construed over the decades. Here we go :
1. People have tried to lead others to the state of bliss for a long time, this list seems to be a great way to get there.
2. Amy is an author, media personality, and expert dating, relationship, & wellness coach and medical intuitive. Her motto is Live Joy, be Kind, Love Unconditionally. One of the most quoted women on the internet, she says bliss is everywhere, its up to you to choose it.
3. In the state of bliss, everything is loved. Something that I and most of the people I know seem to battle with given how society is presented on a daily basis. keep up the good work everybody.
4. Here’s another version of bliss I definitely do not agree with, this is how governments control the masses, through their ignorance.
5. To me this quote signifies braveness, creativity, unlimited possibilities and positivity. It signifies everything that a young child naturally possesses and as we grow older we are stripped of these traits and are replaced with fear of failure. Picasso made me re-evaluate my life and I came up with a list of things I must do in order to keep my inner child alive.
6….”To maintain the state of bliss, the infinite consciousness must have the most ingenious ways of both having monotony and overcoming it, of so combining order with randomness that the principle of order does not issue in dead uniformity, nor the principle of randomness in chaos. Alan Watts gave a fascinating talk on the subject placing bliss somewhere between the two, its long but well worth it. Control and Randomness.
7. Remember the joy of the imaginary friends and the fairies and wizards we could see when we were young, Adele sings about this on her new album Back in those days.
8. My friend Jessica from Canada likes owls, we swap pictures of them on Facebook. I agree with this statement, that is what is in our unconsciousness that challenges our ability to attain the state of bliss.
9. It is a term used to falsely justify apathy on the given subject in the form of a catchy cliché. A prevalent saying of the people in the West when confronted by the truth. Steven Fry points to why this categorically untrue.
10. Is bliss sweet and internal, it seems to be far off the beaten track of normality. Here Alice ensures the Mad Hatter that he is well on the path to it.
11. Bliss to me is a state of where Everything is a gift. Acceptance of all the above allows the opening of the heart through trapping nothing inside.
12. I’m sure all parents can relate to this state of Bliss. Here’s a song from Jennifer Lopez about it – I love my Child.
13. That must be why they say we need to re declare our Love for each other each morning, so we can remember this.
14. Before they learn duality babies have the most wondrous blissful look, this video clip by Nahko Bear reminds me of that wondrous state – Aloha Ke Akua.
15. For the last quote we go to the master of Bliss, Joseph Campbell. He makes you a promise that if you follow your bliss and don’t be fearful of it, doors will open that you cannot imagine.
Having delved into this divine state, we can see that it is possible to attain it, but that you have to put in some determined effort. It just doesn’t happen by itself.
Namaste until next Monday , my dear friends.