I’m an one on one English tutor at Darebin Intercultural Centre in Preston, Victoria, Australia. My student didn’t turn up this morning and I had printed her a lesson called Making Contact. I put this in Google Images and it brought up hundred of quotes on making eye contact, transfiguration by another name.
My friend Chris runs these amazing transfiguration events where you share eye contact with 20 different people over the evening and you finish with a I Love you Circle. This was not what I expected when I typed the words in so let’s have a look at some of these quotes and how they can be interpreted:
1. Kids get it, but adults have had the joy and imagination beaten out of their imagination.
2. Making eye contact with a total stranger was how I met my first true soulmate, on a railway station of all places: Soul on Fire.
3. I heard about living your highest values from John Di Martini the other night but what I will remember most is the friendly single mum from Tasmania I met in the line when our eyes crossed.
4. If you want what you say to land with the person you are speaking to make sure you have grabbed their attention: Don’t Look Down.
5. I make Chai at Mojo dance once a month, I dance with a women who I have screamed at, we have serious trouble looking into each other’s eyes, I hope she reads this.
6. This has happened to me three times in the past month, one of them was 22 years old. What is my soul trying to tell me: Friends.
7. I love the word lovely, Yummy.
8. Yahia Lababidi is an Egyptian-American thinker and Pushcart-nominated poet, whose work has been translated into nearly a dozen languages. To date, is the author of 4 well-received books, in 4 different genres: Signposts to Elsewhere (aphorisms), Trial by Ink: From Nietzsche to Bellydancing (essays), Fever Dreams (poems), and most recently, The Artist as Mystic (conversations): Heart’s on Fire.
9. I just had too because it is so silly.
10. I have always had trouble reading Dostoyevsky, Hahaha: S.E.X.
11. When you eye gaze with 20 different people it helps take this habit away, thank you for your ceremony , Chris.
12. One of my best friends met his life partner on a bus to Sydney when this happened: I’m Into You.
13. And, Yes I love Ram Dass, check him out. It’s not the christian God he is talking about.
14. Sarcasm is a beautiful thing, shit women have to put up with all the time: Stop staring at my Boobs.
15. And then there are times this has to be the next action.
Well, Eye contact, AKA transfiguration is a very powerful tool for connecting with your fellow human beings, practice it as often as you can.
Namaste until next time, my dear friends.