Kate Swoboda writes in her excellent book, The Courage Habit: Here’s the link., What are Stories? Stories are internal narratives and assumptions that we make about how the world operates. But, here’s the important part: stories might not be objectively true. They are your lens on life and, like a pair of sunglasses can change how you see the world. The story you put on your experience has everything to do with whether you see yourself as a victim or a survivor, whether an experience is dangerous or an opportunity, and whether you have the capacity to develop more courage if you are just not very courageous.
What stories have you made up and accepted that stop you from doing those deepest wishes you have had all your life. The world has had a lot to say about limiting beliefs, so let’s begin that journey:
1. I first heard this expression in my Anam Cara, Emeli Paulo’s RAW workshop, always remember you are Enough.
2. Remember when you used to believe in dragons and unicorns, what happened: Changing your Limits.
3. When is that possible while I have all these things to do today, it’s a Nike situation, do it now!!
4. There is that saying, whispering sweet nothings, Isn’t it time we changed nothing to something: Careless Whispers.
5. You have to guess what some of these empowering beliefs are as you can not quite make them out, what do you think they are?
6. While sitting alone on his cushion, Adyashanti had a classic kensho, or awakening experience, in which he “penetrated to the emptiness of all things and realized that the Buddha I had been chasing was what I was: Love No Limit.
Where do you come on the scale, perhaps you discuss the non-real people our TV screens toss at us via reality TV every day.
8. Didn’t all quite fit in, my vote is for Is no box: Little Boxes.
9. I have many positive signs on my walls, hadn’t thought of using my clothesline.
10. Bring on the Gorgeous for me, love the Gorgeous: Gorgeous.
11. One step forward or one step back, just don’t stay stuck where you are for a very long period.
12. Of course, Guatama had something to say about limiting Beliefs: An Unguarded Moment.
13. And here are limited beliefs playmates that quell your happiness.
14. I often dream of the South African plains and being a Lion: The Lion Sleeps Tonight.
15. What would or could you do if you didn’t know it was impossible? I would make the world paradigm, Love and Respect for All, Everyone Included.
These quotes show exactly why it’s important to examine the Stories that we inherently assume to be true. You could ask if it’s possible to cjange your stories? The answer. I have known many people who have shown me it is possible to consciously choose another story. Consciously choosing your stories is a matter of where you put your attention and what you decide to make things mean.
Music and words for today starts with some Wayne J. Dyer wisdom, followed by a fantastic George Michael anthem. Then a love song from Mary J. Blige and back in time to Pete Seeger. Then my favourite pop diva Taylor Swift, an iconic Aussie band, The Church many of you willl not have heard of and finishing with a street Acapella ensemble, Alcapella Soul.
Namaste until next time, my dear friends.