Today we discuss desire as a feeling. I met a woman at a dance last Saturday who I desired, but then the thought I have no idea how to fulfil it came up. I discussed this with my mentor the following Wednesday and he suggested I spend the next week enquiring and breathing into what I felt desire was.
Some history, I have not been in a long term relationship for ten years and made a decision after the not so healthy breakup that it was probably better to remain single the rest of my life. Having made this decision and not having fully put it to rest may have something to do with my lack of ability to be in the acting on my desires with women space. I have declared it at times I am ready for one, but when the opportunity has arisen to express them I have tended to freeze so still some work to do in that area, methinks.
So what has happened in my enquiry into desires over the week? I was meant to attend a concert by a friend on Sunday morning but when I arrived at the address advertised it was a house not a church, so I decided to go to one of my favourite cafes for brunch. As I was sitting there, there was a tap on the window and there was one of the women I admire in my community taking her client for a walk. We blew a kiss to each other and I decided that I desired to get to know her more intimately as I consider she has one of the most beautiful souls I have met in recent years.
I sent her an SMS saying how it had warmed my heart seeing her beautiful smile and acknowledged her for the work she does in the community. It made me feel great having done it and put it down. An aside, I was sitting at a four-seat table on my own when a party of three came in, they were told there was no space, so I offered to move. When I left the owner thanked me as this was not the norm. I replied., why wouldn’t you if you could.
As I was leaving I ran into my friend on the street and was able to continue the conversation and find out a little bit more about what resides in her heart. It helped me realise that I had a funny idea of the desire of being intimate with people was.
Concerning that, what has humanity said about desires over our short journey on the planet, here are a few examples:
1. Rumi’s words are seven centuries old but the profound messages they hold ensure that they are read worldwide today.
2. Shreya is a Bollywood actress and singer, I’m sure most people on the planet have had days like these moments she mentions in this telling quote: Dhadak Title Track.
3. Is passion just another word for our desires?
4. I think the more intimate we are willing to be with each other, the greater the transformation possible, especially of our heartspace: Shallow.
5. A fine scientific formula in my opinion.
6. Shadow and Light, they travel together: Beautiful Pain.
7. Are these called tautologies?
8. In 1986 Coelho walked the 500-plus mile Road of Santiago de Compostela in northwestern Spain. On the path, he had a spiritual awakening, which he described autobiographically in The Pilgrimage. In an interview, Coelho stated “[In 1986], I was very happy in the things I was doing. I was doing something that gave me food and water – to use the metaphor in The Alchemist, I was working, I had a person whom I loved, I had money, but I was not fulfilling my dream. My dream was, and still is, to be a writer.” Coelho would leave his lucrative career as a songwriter and pursue writing full-time: Listen To Your Heart.
9. I’m still contemplating this one.
10. I think we are talking about Faith here: Faith.
11. Where do desires come from, for me, they seem to pop up in the most ridiculous times and places.
12. In this area, I vacillate between clucking and soaring: Fly Like An Eagle.
13. I need to have this done as my first tattoo.
14. As I have discovered over the past week, it is the same with your desires: Perfect Places.
15. We go back 2,500 years for our final lesson on desire to the time of the Ancient Greeks, Aristotle ensure us that all that drives our desires is imperishable whatever life throws at us.
Brene Brown writes in her book, I Thought it Was Just Me = But it Isn’t: There is a beautiful quote from spiritual teacher Marianne Williamson that really inspires me. As you read it, I invite you to think about what she has written in the context of experiencing the shame you have around your desires:
Our deepest fear is that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people won’t feel unsure around you. We were born to manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us, it is in everyone. As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
The playlist today contains some Bollywood and two duets, which is probably apt seeing this blog is about desires. Off to Bollywood for the first number with Shreya, then to Hollywood for Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper. Rapper Eminem and Sia seem like an odd couple next then some classic rock from Roxette. George Michael features next. The penultimate number is a classic 70’s jam from The Steve Miller band and we cross the ditch for the final number from that fine songstress, Lorde: Let Go or You Will Be Dragged!!
So I believe if we were more willing to express our desires authentically we would be much closer to living in a world where Love and Respect For All, Everyone Included. Until we meet again, my dear friends. Don’t forget, you can sign up to receive. these blogs in your inbox twice weekly.