The spiritual teacher and author Eckhart Tolle says, “The moment you become aware of the ego in you, it is strictly speaking no longer the ego, but just an old, conditioned mind-pattern. Ego implies unawareness. Awareness and ego cannot coexist. Recognising this is like taking the first step into the light, to get there you need to go through the dark because both come with each other.
In her brave new book Judgement Detox, Gabrielle Bernstein takes you on a journey that is a clear, proactive, step-by-step program that helps you heal judgment and rediscover your oneness with others. Link to the Book. We all make judgements, it’s just how we let them control us that creates the issue, by acknowledging the fact we do this the power they have over us lessens and we can return to the light after the dark of having made the judgement.
So what has society said about returning to the light over the centuries, here are some ways:
1. Probably the reason that there have been sun gods for a lot longer than deities in religious history.
2. Actions fostered by the light are much more dynamic than simply physical ones, Judy’s got it covered pretty well: Somewhere over the Rainbow.
3. Something all parents must think of in those first magic moments when their children magically enter the physical world.
4. And then there are the times we fail to recognise this fact, Inner not Outer: All of the Stars.
5. And from the 1600’s, Francis Bacon offers up this classic fact about life, with the light, the dark.
6. The quiet is always there, the skill is finding it amongst all the other stuff, such as the 50,000 thoughts per day: Light Up the Dark.
7. I remember living in the country when birds used to announce the coming of the dawn/light when it was pitch black, certainly proof of faith that light will always overcome the dark.
8. Isn’t it grand when someone enters your light who makes you forget to do this: Remember to Breathe.
9. You are leaving the dark chamber, time to enter the light and fly.
10. As I get older and older, I have more and more of these people in my memories light chamber: Memory Loves You.
11. Great name for the organisation who can up with this light quote, HealthyPlace.com
12. From the world’s greatest and most published philosopher Ms Unknown comes some sage advice, you have a unique light to turn on, other people’s will blow if you try and imitate them: Chasing Pavements
13. Some may just be more difficult than others, but the way to the top and the well-lit view is always there.
14. 5 simple words that point to the combination of the light and the dark. The second mention of stars so you know what song that means: Starman.
15. And a reminder for the last from George Bernard Shaw. Looking through the window we see dark and light, it’s your choice.
The first step in the book is Witness your Judgement without Judgement. If this is all I get out of it, it will have been worth spending the time. I’m sure I will get much more, Gabbi is a great thought leader.
Music today is from Ed Sheeran, Adele, Mr Bowie and some obscure artists with only 25,000 Youtube plays. Enjoy.
Namaste until next time, my dear friends.