I am re-reading Brene Browns great book, Daring Greatly. I must admit I haven’t completed it in three tries because I get so much out of it each time I put it down and reflect on the wisdom received before I get to the end. The latest is a line: It’s not what you do, Its why you do it that makes the difference. It’s in the section about The care and feeding of our spirits. In it Brene talks about a distinction called shadow comforts – the difference between doing something to empower ourselves versus numbing behaviour.
What does life do to empower our spirits and what does it say about it, time to journey:
1. From one of the greats comes advice to believe our intuition first over others words.
2. When you behold a guru in action, passion grabs a hold of your spine and begins a kind of erotic pole dance and strip tease upon it, revealing more and more of itself in you, until you too become fully aroused to live. It’s your soul speaking: Soul Kind of Feeling.
3. Meher Baba said – There are two types of ego. The false ego has innumerable wants and desires. It says, I am a man, I want this; I am a woman, I want that; I am sick; I want to be happy; I am rich; I am very poor…. It is always “I.”
But when this ego is annihilated a transformation takes place: the false “I” is replaced by the real “I,” and the experience, “I am free from desires and wanting, I am infinite, I am one with God” is gained. That is the Real Ego.
4. Explains itself, really: Teardrops.
5. I went to a church service last Sunday for the first time in maybe twenty years. I loved the way they were so positive and spoke about faith and Love and not having to believe in the fire and brimstone God of my early religious days.
6. We have all seen those pictures of idyllic African children in circumstances we would not survive with our instant gratification upbringings: sage advice I say: Move On Up.
7. One of the great free spirits who fought against the bubble of the Royal Family she was placed in when she married Prince Charles. Sad ending!!
8: What’s your favourite song that touches you where words alone can’t: I’ve got the Music in Me.
9. “If you love a flower, don’t pick it up.
Because if you pick it up it dies and it ceases to be what you love.
So if you love a flower, let it be.
Love is not about possession.
Love is about appreciation.” – Osho
10. My essence is that of curiosity, that each moment occur as something brand spanking new: Curious.
11. Anger is very much a shadow comfort in that you are the one it hurts.
12. When you know everything about your life, you may have reached the last two words of this quote: Bad Habit.
13. To me this is the most essential part of our daily diet.
14. From little things, big things grow, start right now: From Little Things Big Things Grow.
15. And finally, Pastor Bob Marvel, what a name sums it up so coolly, put the cream in your spirit first, the rest will handle itself after that.
So a question from Brene – Are my choices comforting and nourishing my spirit, or are they temporary reprieves from vulnerability and difficult emotions ultimately diminishing my spirit? Are my choices leading to my Wholeheartedness, or do they feel me leaving empty and searching? It’s up to us to live a life that fulfils the former.
Namaste until next time, my dear friends.