I read an article from the Goddess Circle which started with this quote :
“My daughter,” the Goddess said. “The sooner we release the grip on what is no longer serving us, what no longer fits and what is no longer in alignment with our highest good, the sooner what is meant for us can flow into our world. The sooner you let go of a life that isn’t yours, you open yourself to one that is.”
It made me think of how what we allow in our life can control how it turns out, here is the full article, its very good, Trusting.
So what does to allow or allowing mean here is one dictionaries definition.Expand
(transitive) to permit (to do something); let
(transitive) to set aside: five hours were allowed to do the job
(transitive) to let enter or stay: they don’t allow dogs
(transitive) to acknowledge or concede (a point, claim, etc)
(transitive) to let have; grant: he was allowed few visitors
(intransitive) foll by for. to take into account: allow for delays
(intransitive) often foll by of. to permit; admit: a question that allows of only one reply
(transitive; may take a clause as object) ( US, dialect) to assert;maintain
(transitive) ( archaic) to approve; accept
C14: from Old French alouer, from Late Latin allaudāre to extol, influencedby Medieval Latin allocāre to assign, allocate.
So as we can see there are many different meraning, actually there are probably as many different meanings as there are human beings on the planet.
There were many different quotes, I have chosen some serious ones and a few light hearted ones to explore, lets begin out journey.
1. Dodinsky is the author of the NY Times best-selling book IN THE GARDEN OF THOUGHTS. His intent was simply to share his reflections about life in order to help heal the wounds inflicted by life’s troubles. At the time, the man known by his readers as Dodinsky had no idea that within months of starting his blog In The Garden of Thoughts, thousands of readers would find healing through the modest words he planted. Don’t allow your most beautiful dreams to become homeless. Dodinsky’s website.
2. In alllowing the reverence of gratitude in our lives, this allows for the possibility of any single moment to transform how we relate to life.
3. Possibly Mark Twain’s most famous quote. Do you put self love at the top of your list, as your priority. This allows you to realise when you are an option in someone else’s life. My suggestion is to walk away.
4. Thích Nhất Hạnh is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet and peace activist. He lives in Plum Village in the Dordogne region in the south of France, travelling internationally to give retreats and talks. His chief message is don’t allow the suffering in your life to keep you from being happy.
5. What does kindness allow in life. According to Mark Twain it is universal and does not have to be spoken as the deaf can hear it and the blind can see it.
6. Allowing or Attracting, as this quote points out it is always there so it is better to allow it than attract it, controversial I might say.
7. Tony Gaskins is a motivational speaker, author and life coach. Having appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show, The Tyra Banks Show and TBN’s 700 Club, Gaskins has become one of the most sought after speakers in the US. I like this quote a lot, it is very powerful.
8. But what if this happens, or they don’t turn up. Complaints don’t make a great deal of difference, Stop allowing it in your life or letting it happen is a more positive solution.
9. We reflect in our lives what we put in to the mix. From my experience of mental health issues where I held on steadfastly to my negative beliefs I have to agree with this one. I am so much healthier now that I have taken the time to do things that help me counter the effects of this.
10. Perhaps the most famous song about Allowing is the Rolling Stones Sympathy for the Devil. This quote points out the danger of allowing our corporations who are driven by the almighty dollar have too much influence, Monsanto and Nestle come to mind, one trying to control the world food industry, the other the worlds water supply.
11. I like this quote, we will all make mistakes, its just part of the human condition. The Art in life is learning which one to move forward with and turn it into our Art.
12. As hard as we try, we cannot avoid feeling insulted, attacked and taken for granted at some stage in out lives. When this occurs you must allow yourself forgiveness or events that happened on the past will keep controlling how you relate to current time.
13. Esther Hicks is an American inspirational speaker and author. She has co-authored nine books with her husband Jerry Hicks, presented numerous workshops on the law of attraction with Abraham Hicks. Here she talks about Allowance being as a result of appreciation. Here is their theme song ,If you want it, It can Happen.
14. Here is the light hearted one which has a slight dig at Facebook, you can stare at people with out getting caught.
15. Who doesn’t want inner peace, renowned Buddhist practitioner Pema Chodron points out not allowing other people or events to control your emotions is the middle path to achieving this.
What do you allow to control your life, your family, your friends, your thoughts, to me it is a life long journey and is something you need to spend time on daily as we are influenced by what we come in contact with moment to moment.
Namaste until Thursday my dear friends. Happy Allowing.