The opposite of love is not hate, it’s indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it’s indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it’s indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it’s indifference.
I have always been a volunteer, my 88 year old mum Edna trained us to be involved in the community, she was a Brown Owl and involved in the local church all through our childhood. Mine has mainly been activism, environmentalism and Interculturalism being my latest passions.
Dr Suess’s character The Lorax , was heard to utter “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”
So what does the world have to say about activism and why is there so littl eof it to counter mainstream media’s charge toward destruction.
Here are 15 quotes that may provide the answer. Let’s have a look
1. Ross Perot, America’s voice that states truths and the answer to the Greens party in Australia, points out it is not words that make the difference in activism its the actions.
2. One of the youngest winners of the Nobel Peace Prize at 16, Malala Yousafzai survived being shot in the head to being the best known activist for women’s education on the planet.
3. Jamaica: home of Zombies and Devils, their best known import Bob Marley, chose his activism to be Is this Love.
4. Ricky Gervais is one of the planets best known atheists as well as a great actor and comedian. He is very active in pointing out the benefits of atheism compared to the craziness of the religions that seem to control the planet.
5. Alice Walker is one of my heroines, Alice become a civil right activists in the 60’s after meeting Martin Luther King Jr. , turning to writing she released the iconic The Color Purple which the famous line I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don’t notice it. comes from. At 81 she is still an activist for human rights and all living beings.
6. My friend Jeffrey Slayter says we are all going Sane in an Insane World, he provides a lot of information to help us do this Info for your Sanity., John Lennon agrees with him about the insanity.
7. Another great African American Female activist Audrey Lorde accuses the human race that their silence will not protect them when the shit hits the fan.
8. Samuel Clemens better known as Mark Twain was credited with writing the Great American Novel, The adventures of Huckleberry Finn was not astray from pointing out that you can not hide from the wrongs of the world by shutting your eyes to them.
9. Its interesting that in mainstream media you do not read much about our famous female activists of the world. Winona LaDuke is a Native American of Ojibwe ancestry who has fought for Tribal Lands since the 80’s. The point she makes in this quote shows the ridiculousness of our world at the moment.
10. Malala declared herself a feminist after hearing Emma Watson famous speech on gender equality We are Equal. Direct and to the point Malala states that we will not succeed in our Activism while there is no gender equality.
11. Probably the greatest activist who used Love and non violence to get what he was seeking this man freed a nation without firing a shot in anger.
12. I love Arundhati Roy, brave and outspoken. This quote on why activism is an act of courage in the face of the attempt by the mainstream to silence them and not listen.
13. This should be taught in All schools, must more useful than Maths.
14. Comes a time, a song by Neil Young The Song. states that we drift through the world then something happens and we choose to stand up for what we believe in as Martin Luther Kings quote is referring to.
15. This quote by Arundhati is the quote I use on my public Facebook group called Interculturalism. This is where people come to join together to actively spread the ethos of Love and Respect for All Everyone Included. It is growing slowly but everybody is welcome to join and contribute.
Activism is one of the things that will save us from what they are setting up. Be active in whatever area in life you choose, but be Active.
Namaste until Thursday, my dear friends