In their inspiring book Getting Back to Happy: Change your Thoughts, Change Your Reality, and Turn Your Trials into Triumphs: Get It Here., Marc and Angel Chernoff explode myths. The one I am writing on today is that you have to wait for the “right time” to make a change in your life. The truth is it is never too late or too early to be who you are capable of being. There’s no time limit on when you can start living the life you’ve dreamed of. There is no mythical door that shuts after you turn a certain age, blocking you off from experiencing the things you want to do.
Happily, life has a way if throwing red flags when it’s time for us to make a change – we have to be watchful for them. With that in mind, take a look at this list and ask yourself: are any of these the reasons I’m unhappy with my life as it is now?
- Fear is Holding me Back.
- I catch myself feeding the negative.
- My mind is everywhere except right here, right now.
- I feel pressured to be someone other than myself.
- I feel like I’m competing against everybody else.
- A relationship is making me miserable.
- I feel bored.
- I’ve been resisting change.
- Other people are writing my story for me.
If any of these resonate with you, you certainly aren’t alone. Many people are afraid to step forward and change their situation simply because they don’t know how or because they’re afraid to fail. Remember, it’s always better to take an imperfect step forward than to take no step at all.
So, it is time to have a look at what society says about this situation:
1. Without doing this you live yesterday after yesterday. I think its called Groundhog Day.
2. After several failed attempts, Danny Sullivan won the Indy 500 and totalled $2 million dollars winning from 12 starts: The Time of My Life.
3. Inspiring Buddhist nun, Pema Chodron, points out that the possibility is now.
4. You will know when: Right Place, Right Time.
5. But giving up your fear of failure will give it a more than even chance of it being the right time.
6. I vote for making it: Hustle.
7. Watch what they do, not what they say. Actions speak louder than words.
8. Don’t give up, we all have mistakes along our journey: Don’t Give Up.
9. They wrote some great song lyrics.
10. As the navigator, you have to be right here, right now: The Navigator.
11. Take that imperfect step into the above.
12. When to do it by a man who changed the direction of the United States: His Greatest Speech.
13. Begin it Now.
14. Find the Others: Friends.
15. We have the same 24 hours as Martin Luther King had, go for your dreams.
Rarely is life going to work out perfectly, and rarely will the stars align. If you’re waiting around to gather all the resources you think you need to take the next step forward, before you know it, you will have wasted all the time you have. Changing your situation is about being mindful of what you want to change- and then finding the one thing you can do first to improve it. That one action might not change everything, but it will put you on the path to something better.
The Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes classic starts the playlist today. Then the million-selling Olly Murs who I had never heard of. Jamelia funks it up next, then a superb live version of Peter Gabriels biggest hit. A grungy offering from The Pogues, then some wise words from MLK, finishing with Ed Sheeran: The Good News is That you are the Pilot.
Love and Respect for All, Everyone Included until next time we meet, my dear friends.