I volunteer at a local council social enterprise Darebin Intercultural Centre where we spread the ethos of Love and Respect for All, Everyone Included. I created a public open Facebook page allowing people to support this ethos : Access to the Interculturalism Page.
What has brought about the increase of social enterprises when people who make raw organic chocolates and plant trees with a percentage of their profits like Pana Chocolate in Australia go to their website. Newman’s Own is a food company founded by actor Paul Newman and author A. E. Hotchner in 1982. The company gives 100% of the after-tax profits from the sale of its products to Newman’s Own Foundation (a private non-profit foundation) which in turn, gives the money to various educational and charitable organisations. In 1982 Newman summarized his initial intentions regarding distribution of his company’s profits: “My profits will be divided between a number of tax-deductible charities and causes, some church-related, others for conservation and ecology and things like that.” This has been happening for over 30 years, a remarkable effort that has surely enlivened many great projects.
Why did people start leaving the capitalist driven mentality that its all about the profit. Lets check out the 15 quotes that look at the world of social enterprise:
1. The quote by Maya Angelou “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” also speaks to what Albert is pointing out, you can’t take it with you and what remains are people’s feelings.
2. Hard to read but the last line is clear, Leave a Legacy. There is the famous story about the lists of the worlds most famous wealthy men in the 1920’s before the Great depression. After it none of them were on it and none of them were remembered.
3. We have an education system that seems to be more and more about this, I remember the saying that when your children are born most of the tools thye use will not have been. Why do they insist on teaching children their parents and grand parents knowledge.
4. You will find in Social enterprises this is a very important part of their lives Their offices are set up as a common space so that people feel they are part of a community. Another organisation I am involved with Collective Potential is currently working out of one of the new co working hubs that are breaking out over the world, where creative’s share space and ideas. Revolver Creative.
5. Lets return to 1982 for our first song, social enterprises definitely do not cry What about Me?
6. Social minded organisations are incredibly focused on this , thats its about their customer base not themselves, with out customers there is no self.
7. A lot of Social Enterprises are about this, educating the masses to empower themselves after being in contact with their organisation. As Bob Marley sang : Get Up, Stand Up.
8. These like minded social entrepreneurs know that its not about their first million, they are here for a much grander purpose, the survival of the planet.
9. The worlds most famous Cigar smoker, Winston Churchill points out the courage of standing up for your beliefs and listening as to how they will serve the world.
10. My friend Miroslav Petrovic is one of the greatest at doing this I know The Way of the Heart. Social Enterprises do not hold back in this area.
11. I love these word circles, for Social Enterprise they are all inspiring
12. Who more than Mahatma could dare to make a statement like this, can you about your social enterprise.
13. I suppose I could not write this blog with out a mention of our friend Social Media. My backdrop picture states I only post about peace, love, truth, harmony, self-growth, bliss, beauty, life, light, wonder, happiness and the goodness on the world: only the brave will hang in with me. Social Enterprise is my tool for this at http://www.rodhasawaywithwords.com.
14. But in Social Enterprise you must always remember this!
15. George Bernard Shaw (26 July 1856 – 2 November 1950) was a Nobel Prize and Oscar-winning Irish playwright, critic and socialist whose influence on Western theatre, culture and politics stretched from the 1880s to his death in 1950. I see Social Enterprise as the major positive change of this century so far.
Well as you may be able to tell from my writing I see Social Enterprise as the way forward in our restitution of our society from where mainstream media and big business are trying to take us.
Namaste until next Monday , my dear friends.
The shift towards social enterprise is definitely welcome and as you point out Rod, seems to be growing in recent years. In the definition of social enterprise provided by Wikipedia, we read that “social enterprise is an organization that applies commercial strategies to maximize improvements in human and environmental well-being.” It is a good example of ‘both/and’ – it’s possible to make a living AND also look after everyone, no one left out! 😊