I remember one of my teachers saying a master was someone who had been alive longer than you had. I never really understood what she meant until coming across the saying “You are either a teacher or a student .” Vincent Van Gogh said If one is master of one thing and understands one thing well, one has at the same time, insight into and understanding of many things. So if you could master and learn one thing – what would it be?
Mastery has sort of been stolen by the Law of Abundance market as the way to make a fortune but I believe as Vincent says it relates to each and every area of our lives. How has the world related to it over time, what have the masters themselves said about it:
1. The curly headed one, Albert Einstein says that we need to give our all to obtain it, no Netflix for masters.
2. From the Buddha to Steven Covey, these quotes over the Ages give you wide choice to achieve Mastery: Know Yourself.
3. Mastery is obtained by giving time to something, money cannot buy it for that you, yourself wish to master.
4. Gold Medallists do not just happen, they occur from a well-executed plan from an early age to them stepping up on the podium: God’s Plan.
5. Passion is also required to achieve mastery, it lives in your heart.
6. Author of the Classic As a Man Thinketh, another part of the recipe to obtain mastery, Calmness on the journey: A Thousand Years.
7. As Vincent says, mastery is obtained by concentrating on a particular field of knowledge which then allows you to obtain it in others.
8. When I complete online surveys I never give anybody a score of ten, this quotes points as to why: The End.
9. For nearly 80 of his 91 years, Picasso devoted himself to an artistic production that he superstitiously believed would keep him alive, contributing significantly to — and paralleling the entire development of — modern art in the 20th century.
10. What a beautiful line of wisdom – Only we can control our appetites and passion, says it all about mastery really: Love Story.
11. Where did we go wrong on supporting mastery with our education system? Thank god for the teachers that recognise the gifted ones.
12. Explains Mastery perfectly, this quote does – Tribute to the Best Human Being.
13. My brother is a computer Luddite if anything goes wrong with his technology his eyes roll over. But ask him about music and he can answer any question.
14. Another part of the recipe of mastery, acceptance of fear and keep on going, Mention of the word fear equals Jim Carrey’s video: Love or Fear.
15. And finally, from one of my favourites, Deepak Chopra, the final part of the recipe for mastery: do not take personal offence.
My master also gave me an exercise to practice she said would help with mastery – Hold an optimistic view of the world – All Day.
Our Music today is two Drake songs in a row, the beautiful Christina Perri, the ever haunting anthem by the Doors, Pop Diva Taylor Swift, a tribute to Bruce Lee, ending with the iconic speech by Jim Carrey.
Namaste until next time, my dear friends.