It took just on a week to get back from the magical land that is known as Confest. The title comes from the glorious minimalist I meet on the last day who had decided to come the day before Confest began, she hopped in her car with a backpack and slept on the earth the entire time, could also do the most amazing earth sounds, I fell in love with her from the moment she shared her vision for the planet.
How do I feel after experiencing my first Confest in 30 years, a mixture of joy and sadness actually. The joy that I have come home again and sadness that I waited 30 years to return. There were hundreds of things to do, workshops, mudtribes, Temple rooms, Silent discos, I chose to hang around our firepit in Tranquility during the day: the drug, alcohol and smoke-free camping area and receive the connections that would come my way and must admit to a silent disco addiction garnered from attending similar events in the Edinburgh Gardens in Fitzroy. They were not the same, the evil energy of drugs and alcohol permeated the tent, still, I danced.
How did the connecting go, fucking magnificently: Saturday night this is the countries represented around our little fire: Finland, Chile, Argentina, Japan, China, The United States, and me as the token Aussie.
The United States started it all with Woodstock, Confest is Australia’s answer. Woodstock’s motto was Peace and Love, how did Confest fulfil that in my heart and how do we as human beings do that on an ongoing basis, let’s have a look:
1, Jimi performed at Woodstock, he would have loved Confest. Died too young at 27.
2. MLK Jnr. knew what was a need, they shot him: Love Your Enemies.
3. Just keeping it real.
4. Heartspace, way to go: Listen to Your Heart.
5. From the greatest of philosophers, Ms Unknown comes this pearl of wisdom.
6. Working together to make the change, Fuck Yes: Let’s Stick Together.
7. Self-love first, the rest will follow, there were 10,000 souls to share yours with.
8. His Holiness recognizes Love and Peace as the new religion that will make the difference, will you: Love is My Religion.
9. If you don’t know who Ram Dass is, check him out, pure gold.
10. Only one song: Stairway to Heaven.
11. Of course, we cannot forget the powerful morning potion after the few hours of sleep got each night.
12. I met dozens of these beautiful angels over the time I was there: Give Peace a Chance.
13. If you truly want to integrate the Confest spirit in your life, do this.
14. And, especially this: We are family.
15. And the final lesson comes from the divine one, Maya Angelou.
What was the most profound moment of Confest for me? When the indigenous elder ran up to me and said, it is good to see you again this lifetime, then performed a ceremony on my face for 15 minutes in the indigenous language, then told me to listen to the forest. Want to know what it said? It said why do these people come here and play the musical instruments of Africa and sing the songs of India, don’t they know we are the oldest surviving culture on the planet and we have our own sounds. We will heal when they leave. it feels like I can hear the Earthsong. By the way, I had never met him in my life.
The playlist of Love and Peace contains some spoken word and all-time classic anthems. We begin with Martin Luther King Jr, then the unusual combination of Roxette and Eminem. Back in time to Bryan Ferry, then Bob’s son Ziggy Marley. Two more old Love and Peace classics follow from Led Zeppelin and John Lennon. We finish all in the family with Chic and Sister Sledge, Lots of live versions because music is just better live: She Slept next to the Fire!!
Confest was a great example of how I want the world to relate: Love and Respect for All, Everyone Included. Until next time, my dear friends.